One of my favorite ways to use rituals to support my intentions is with candles. Generally, I use single color 7-Day candles – which I carve symbols into, dress with a special oil, herbs, and glitter that supports my intentions – just like we do for clients at Curio, Craft & Conjures C-4 Station. That said – here are a few other ideas that can support your rituals:
Candles designed for reversing are two colors: black, and another color that matches the spell’s intent. For example, if an enemy has sent trouble your way, a red and black Reversible Candle burns away negativity first, then helps you overcome your enemy’s spell.
Many folks like to use candles in the shape of an object. Image candles are candles which were created to symbolize a person or condition in spiritual workings. They work similarly to poppets by utilizing sympathetic magic to aid in spell casting.
You would typically dress them like you would any other candle, and name after a specific person. They come in a wide range of colors and shapes, including Male, Female, Skulls, and Cats.
Below is a breakdown of the image candles we carry at Curio, Craft & Conjure – as well as their intended uses.
Male and Female Image Candles
These candles have been molded to represent a naked man and a naked woman. The candle color is typically chosen to align with your desired outcome.
Carve the name of the person the candle is supposed to represent onto the chest of the candle. The candle can be burned by itself or with other candles. For example, a simple love spell you can face two image candles towards each other on your altar. Put a red candle in between the two image candles. Light all three candles and slowly move the two image candles closer to each other until they eventually touch.
Skull Candles are shaped like the human skull. They are associated with the human head and are used to read other peoples thoughts. Some root-workers use these candles to cure sickness Use this candle for all kinds of purposes from protection and banishing negativity to effecting positive change.
Cats are believed to have nine lives and always land on their feet, so cat candles are used to attract good luck.
As with candle shape, candle color is an important part of candle magic. Candle colors are chosen by the energies we wish to invoke and by symbolic meanings of the color preference. This list is a general guideline for selecting candles for your rituals:
- White. Generally associated with peace in the home and workplace, blessings, helping others, purification and healing – it can be used for ALL types of magickal work, in case you don’t have the “preferred” color.
- Red. Associated with passion, fast luck, sex magick, and love.
- Green. Associated with money, prosperity, health, and luck.
- Pink. Associated with love, friendship, romance, affection, new relationships, tender love, attracting your soul mate, goodness, emotional love, harmony, tenderness, nurturing, family, protection, youth, calm sleep, and spiritual satisfaction.
- Black. associated with breakups, removing/banishing and absorbing negative/evil energy, protection, and breaking hexes.
In Hands-On Hoodoo, we will cover Candles Magick in the 3rd LIVE class at Curio, Craft & Conjure. (The first 2 LIVE classes we’ll cover how to make magickal oils & powders.) There is still room if you want to join us! Sign up for Hands-on Hoodoo here.