Have you ever asked yourself (or anyone else) what exactly is “the evil eye”?
This newsletter addresses that question and, more importantly, how to remove it.
It is important to note that the evil eye is not the same thing as a jinx, curse, or spell. Spells are targeted deliberately and intentionally and must be “cast.”
The evil eye is not a spell at all, although there are many spells to oppose it. Instead, the evil eye is an ill-defined, somewhat nebulous, but entirely malefic force naturally present in the universe – a different kind of magic power.
Although there is general agreement on what constitutes the evil eye, who is vulnerable, and the nature of its destructive effects, exactly where the evil eye emanates from is subject to heated metaphysical debate.
Some traditions perceive the evil eye as an abstract destructive force, like an infectious cloud that one must attempt to avoid, ward off, repel, minimize, or remove.
Other traditions believe people deliver the evil eye, sometimes knowingly, sometimes completely innocently, and unintentionally. (I am in this camp.)
Sometimes, these folks are so insecure that they can’t be happy for anyone else’s joy or success. From this perspective, the evil eye is a destructive force that emanates from certain (and potentially all) people. According to some theories, every one of us can “cast” the eye. Have you ever heard the expression “If looks could kill”? It is within the human ability to scorch with a glance. In short, the evil eye is the force of envy, jealousy, and resentment that shoots out of the human soul like a heat-seeking missile. The “eye” reference may be understood in two ways which are not mutually exclusive:
- The evil eye is an omnipresent destructive abstract force, similar to the Lord of the Rings’s all-seeing eye. Try as you may to hide happiness and good fortune. The evil eye is attracted, sees all, and spoils it.
- The evil eye is cast with the human eye, intentionally or by those who are jealous, destructive, and malicious by nature or involuntary in other circumstances.
There are two methods of avoiding the evil eye:
- Don’t boast, brag, or call undue attention to your good fortune.
- Protection via magically empowered amulets (like the image above) and spells.
A simple way to remove the evil eye is the following:
- Sprinkle tobacco onto a lit coal.
- Stand over it so that the smoke fumigates you. *Be sure the window is open, or do this outdoors.
- Repeat as needed.
I hope this helps!
Share this with a friend – and be sure to follow us on IG!!
Enjoy your day!