2020 has been nothing is not full of surprises.
From my perspective – what I see is people coming out of all kinds of closets.
In my ignorance, I thought there was only ONE closet to come out of!
Now we have so many more choices – in terms of:
Politics: I think we are all screwed if we sincerely believe that the titles “Republican” or “Democrat” define us. How about “Human”?
Race: Racism is the REAL pandemic – and many folks don’t even know they ARE racist. I would pretty much define someone as a racist if they were more concerned with the riots than the fact that black folks have been murdered by – what is supposed to be, those who carry out justice….Just US (Just who, exactly?)
Belief Systems: Who is buying this covid crap? Who is not?
Sexuality: These days, being gay or straight does not seem to be an issue IF you are on the right side of the fence.
Religion: Are you religious or spiritual? (There is only one wrong answer in my book, “cuz I don’t believe in organized anything). What I am seeing these days is more people coming to Curio, Craft & Conjure because they are questioning authority. (Yay – to THAT)
So…How do you come out of YOUR Closet?
- Know Your Audience: How will your friends, family or employer feel about it? Will they be supportive of you? Will they even care? Most importantly, what will the consequences be? Take out a piece of paper and list the pros on one side and the cons on the other; then decide whether it’s a good decision to “come out” and to whom.
- Be Prepared: People will ask a lot of questions and throw scripture (and sometimes, even the actual Bible) at you. Be sure you are ready to address this behavior. TRUE STORY: At an Aveda Store event I participated in years ago, I approached a woman for a chakra reading. Not only did she have no idea what I was referring to, she commented “Oh – I don’t mess with that psychic stuff”. At this point, I informed her that I was an ordained minister and that in fact, Jesus was a prophet, a healer, and teacher – just like me. Her response? Well, HE was the child of God. My response: “Yes. We all are”. I smiled and walked away after that, which brings me to the next tip…
- Choose your Battles: If you have a religious zealot (or staunch Republican/Democrat) in your face – there is no way you can convert them. (Do you even want to?) Put your time, effort, and energy into those who will not drain you and can engage in an open-minded conversation.
- Find “Like Minds”: Meaning – those who are who are open. There are probably some tips they can offer that can not only help you, but you’ll also have support from this group. Taking classes will expose you to folks just like you, who are ready to question “authority”.
- “Come Out” to people you trust first. They will be your (and probably have already been) your support. This may be a friend, family member or spouse.
- Don’t Broadcast: Spare yourself the open criticism you’ll likely receive if you post on social media – especially Facebook. The emotional contagion can bring you down. What you want most now is to be Lifted UP.
- Expect Varied Responses: You may lose friends. The good news? If you are doing all of the above, you will also gain a new network of free thinkers.
You Are Loved ~